Thursday, September 03, 2009

Clipping Your Dog's Nails

How often should you clip your dog's nails? Should you do it yourself or take him to a groomer? I prefer having someone else do it because I have been able to find some groomers out there that will do it for only $5., which doesn't break the bank for me, besides, I am afraid that I am going to cut too low and I certainly don't want that. Maybe it's also because I don't want my chihuahuas to think of me as "the bad guy" if I do mess up. However, even when I do take them to cut it done, I will still sometimes use a small nail smoother, one of those little tools that you can buy, battery operated to smooth the cut nails a bit so they aren't so jagged and tough. However, if you do prefer to do it yourself, I have found a really good article that may help you with it. http://www.professorshouse.com/pets/dogs/how-to-cut-my-dogs-nails.aspx
It seems easy enough, and if you are brave enough, go for it.

4 comments:

Tiffany and the Munchkins said...

I cut both of my munchkins' nails. Well, I say cut but we use a dremel. If I have been slack and their nails have gotten really long, I'll clip the very ends off with the clippers and then dremel the rest. It shortens them quickly and it keeps them smooth so they don't scratch. And, I really don't fear going too far because the dremel's action is supposed to cauterize the bleed. I probably do Lexi's nails about every two weeks because hers grow very quickly. Bentley's I usually do about once a month. But, if you can get it done for $5, I say go for it. And like you said, then you don't have to be the bad guy!

groom matted dog said...

wow... find it interesting... hope it'll be beneficial for me and my friends...

dog grooming tools said...

wow... find it interesting... hope it'll be beneficial for me and my friends...

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I have recently been searching for information about this topic for ages and yours is the best I have discovered so far.