Monday, September 06, 2010

A Homemade E-Collar For Such A TIny Dog

Since Bella only weighs 3.2 pounds, she is just extra tiny, and I had a hard time with that other e-collar, I went to the Dollar Tree, bought a 50cent piece of poster board, came home, drew a pattern off the old one, then I took off 1/2 inch off each end, and trimmed another inch off the long side and taped it on.  As you can see in this pic, it's un-even where I taped it, but I have just evened that off and re-taped it and now it's nearly perfect---well, as about perfect as you can get when you HAVE no choice but to keep them from biting at the incision.  Every single time I have taken her e-collar off, she reaches straight for the stitches so I felt I needed to keep it on. However, the one I bought from Petsmart is thick and plastic, making it very heavy for her, and not allowing her little nose to be able to reach her food very well.  I was having to hand feed or putting her food on the edge of the bowl so she could reach it....so I  am now going to try this. She is not wobbling as she walks now because it isn't heavy. She's also able to reach her bowl much better.  I wished that they made this sort of thing for a tiny dog, but it's nearly impossible to find one. Thank goodness for the internet and people's opinions that gave me the idea to even try this. It comes off Saturday morning, thank goodness!

No comments: