Friday, October 13, 2006

What helps for a spraying male chihuahua???

Well, I have tried those diapers, as I said in my previous posting. I made that belly band for my
Shorty dog and boy does it ever work wonders. There are many sites out there that offer belly bands which can be quite affordable. However, if you are so inclined, you can make one yourself.
All you need is the sewing machine, of course, some thread, a little bit of velcro, and some soft material. I measured my dog starting from the back and around his little private area, and got that measurement. I used fleece material so it will be soft against his skin. I doubled that up, cutting and adding an extra couple of inches to be sure that once I was finished with the seams that it would still fit. I guess I made his between 2 -3 inches wide. I sewed outside to outside all 3 seams, turning those and then turning in the last edge to make it look nice, and then I sewed across the edges and again down not the middle, but making it sewed into thirds. I placed the velcro on the edges to fit and sewed that down. I went to the store and bought some poise pads and used one whole pad to place down the center of it and sure enough, it did the job nicely. Now, I have found that you will need more than one because sometimes males will pee alot when they go, even though they are small little dogs. So, you need one or two extras to keep on while the others are in the wash. If your dog is laying around sleeping and you are right there with him, give him a break from it so he won't have to have it on all the time. His skin needs room to breathe just like a baby wearing a diaper. At first, they will not like wearing it. But my chihuahua got used to it and now even stands still while I put it on. Good luck...

1 comment:

Bob Disporto said...

Interesting, I had no idea that these worked on chihuahuas.