Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Chihuahuas and Children

This past week, I had a really hard time with my chis.  They proved just exactly what everyone says about them being true to their owner and protective. My youngest daughter was graduating and two of her older sisters and families came in the celebrate the event. One daughter has a 5 yr old, and neither one of my chihuahuas liked her. She, of course, wanted to pick them up and neither Bella or Shorty wasn't having any part of that. They were scared at first, like most chis....After they found out that our guests were staying for awhile, they warmed up, and at times, even allowed them to pet them or pick them up...even a time or two with my 5 yr. old granddaughter, but not much. She wanted to handle them WAY more than they wanted her to. I had to explain to her that they didn't always want to be picked up, and for them, there were times that I put them into their kennel so they could have a break from all the action.  I have had people ask my opinion about getting chihuahuas for their children. There are some that will do very well, but alot of them just would rather be around the adults...I think this is pretty much characteristic for the majority. Although, I will say, mine were fairly good about it, most of the time.

1 comment:

Nadine, Chewy and Lilibell said...

I have to agree with you on this - Chihuahuas are more suitable for older children and adults. I've found that little kids look at these little dogs like they are cute toys and want to constantly pick them up! When Steve's nephews were younger and we first got Chewy & Lilibell, every time we went over they were wanting to pick them up and pestering them relentlessly!!! Thankfully C&L were always good about it and never snipped at them. Plus, especially with Lilibell, I was always afraid that they were going to drop them and hurt them. So no, Chihuahuas are not good for young children, you need a big and sturdy dog who can take the handling and roughhousing!