Saturday, August 28, 2010

What is Demodectic Mange, Anyways?

It's nothing pretty, that's for sure. Bella started scratching and her hair was starting to come out in little places. I was wondering what was going on.  I even pondered upon the idea that maybe it was demodectic mange because many years ago, I had a toy fox terrier that had it, but at that time, there was nothing to be done for it but the dipping. I took Bella in for a check up and they did the scraping, and sure enough, that's what it was. They wanted to start the ivermectic in cherry syrup but I was afraid. I told the vet that I would go home and discuss this with my family and look online at other possible cures. Well, after much thought, I went ahead. She liked it, much to my suprize, so giving it to her was easy. She started clearing up day by day, a slow process, but when I took her back and got 2 different scraping of negative, she was done, and boy was I glad it was over!
Here are a few links I found in case you want to learn more about it.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-demodectic-mange.htm
and http://www.petshed.com/petcyclopedia/canine-demodectic-mange.html
you can also google this and find more about it.

No comments: